Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters

Thursday, February 23, 2012

I Asked And The Ghosts Did It!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 1:48 a.m.

Courtney stopped by the hotel for a visit.  (When you work the crazy hours we do, our sleeping patterns are generally way out of whack.)  We were both in the lobby at the front counter, sitting at different computer terminals.

Earlier in the evening, I had closed the french doors that lead into the breakfast room because it keeps the lobby cooler.  When the doors are closed, they are secured from the bottom in a small niche in the floor.  In order to open the doors, you have to turn the handle on the door itself.

Courtney and I were chatting when we both heard a noise coming from the direction of the french doors.  We both looked over at the doors, and they were open.

I walked a few feet over, checked the doors, and then closed them again.  Three minutes later, we heard the same noise coming from the same direction and, once again, saw that the french doors were open.  Once again, I checked the doors and then secured them.

At 1:57 a.m., Courtney and I were still sitting in the lobby behind the front counter.  I heard a click to my right and watched the private, locked door from lobby to the breezeway open.  No one was there and the lock was still in the "lock" position.  Since this happens all the time, Courtney and I just looked at each other and smiled. 

At 2:07 a.m., Courtney and I decided to try an experiment.  We sat in our respective positions behind the front desk, still sitting at different computer terminals, several feet away from the french doors.  I asked the civil war soldier spirits to open the french doors again.

As we both watched, we saw the door handle turn down, heard the same noise we heard before, and watched as the french doors opened. 

After we composed ourselves (we were laughing), I checked the french doors once more and then secured them once again.

They did not open up again the rest of the night.    

No comments:

Post a Comment