Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Phantom Pipe Tobacco

Friday, August 29, 2008, 5:11 p.m.

I was sitting at the desk inside the inner office working on some paperwork when Carrie, a co-worker, stepped in on her way to get some extra towels for a guest.  She went to the door which leads into the laundry room, but found the door locked.

Carrie asked me if I had locked that inside door and I told her no.  She then unlocked the door and went into the laundry room.  When she came out with the towels, she reported that the back door was also locked.  I did not lock that door either.  I could not help but laugh at this, much to Carrie's chagrin. 

After she gave the towels to the guests, I explained to Carrie the problem Courtney and I had been having with the soldier spirits unlocking the doors to the outside in the middle of the night.  I related the fact that I had gone to each door with a request that the soldier spirits NOT unlock the doors to keep us safe.

It seems that they are letting me know that they got my message and are now locking ALL the doors, including those inside the building! 

At 6:18 p.m., Carrie came inside the inner office to tell me that she smelled pipe tobacco in the lobby.  I walked out into the lobby and, sure enough, I smelled that wonderful, sweet cherry pipe tobacco aroma.  I have often smelled this very distinct aroma out on the battlefield when there was not one person visible for miles.

I asked Carrie if anyone had come into our "no smoking" lobby with a pipe, and she said no.  The aroma was strongest behind the lobby counter where we stand.  It lasted for just a few minutes, then it dissipated.

Note:  The most popular pipe tobacco that was smoked by Confederate soldiers during the Civil War was a cherry pipe tobacco. 

At 8:10 p.m., Carrie was preparing to go home.  We were together inside the inner office chatting.  Carrie was standing at the doorway of the office with a clear view into the lobby.  We both heard the front, lobby door open.  Carrie walked out to the lobby counter, walked all around the lobby and into the breakfast room and then came back into the inner office.  I looked up from the paperwork I was attending to and saw that her face was a white as a sheet.  She told me that there was no one in either the lobby or breakfast room.  Carrie told me that she watched the front door open, but no one came in.

Yes, I know.  It happens all the time.  Carrie quickly departed for the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment