Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Phantom Gunfire in the Breakfast Room

Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 1:38 a.m.

Once again, I was sitting in the inner office reading.  It was peaceful and quiet.  Suddenly that silence was broken by a very loud bang which appeared to be coming from the breakfast room which is located around the corner from the office.  It sounded to me like something large and heavy had fallen.

As I stepped around the corner and entered the breakfast room, I heard a loud gunshot that reverberated throughout the breakfast room.  They are shooting again in the breakfast room!

FYI, there is a large picture window in the breakfast room.  From that vantage point, you can see General Lee's Headquarters just a few feet away.

In my research of the fighting which occurred on the grounds of the hotel, I learned that on the afternoon of Day One of the Battle of Gettysburg, the 143rd Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment made its stand against attacking Confederates directly in front of the stone building which would later become General Lee's Headquarters. 

Perhaps that is why we hear gunshots in the breakfast room?

No comments:

Post a Comment